Founder, Arya Therapy Services
Welcome to another episode of The Coach’s Circle Podcast!
Our show is all about showing you everything the world of coaching has to offer–what it is, what it isn’t, and whether it might be the right career choice for you.
Through our conversations with professionals in a variety of different mental health and wellness fields, you’ll gain valuable, real-world insight into their careers and consider how their experiences might impact your own career choices. Our interviews will feature coaches, therapists, counselors, personal trainers, and other professionals who incorporate coaching into their practices. Our hope is that these varied perspectives will help you come to understand exactly the type of coach you were meant to be.
Today’s special guest is Tamara Powell. She is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and empowerment coach and the founder of Arya Therapy Services in Pensacola, Florida.
- Tamara takes us through her personal background and what led her to a career in psychology
- A discussion of figuring out which kind of clients to attract (and which to repel!)
- Tamara explains her concept of Radical Autonomy
- The distinction (and similarities) between therapy and coaching in Tamara’s work
- How Tamara made the jump from graduate school straight to private practice
- The most rewarding and challenging aspects of Tamara’s career as a therapist and coach
“Some of the best business advice I got was that you probably are your own best client. If you’re stuck, take a look at your own character traits first. What do you like in a coach or in a therapist? And the second piece was, who are you willing to repel? We talk so much about who we’re okay with attracting, but honestly, the best […] clients came when I was willing to own that I have to repel certain types of people.”